Ready for life as you know it to change?
Have you been sitting on the fence about having LASIK laser eye surgery? Maybe you’re worried you won’t like the ‘new you’ that will be staring right back at you in the mirror after the surgery. Or do you think it’s unaffordable? Does your calendar not have any suitable openings? The good news is, you’re not alone in finding reasons to put it in the too-hard basket.
Whatever your reasons for wanting it, it’s perfectly normal to be a little apprehensive about laser eye surgery. But if you’ve lived most of your life with limited vision, it’s likely that glasses or contact lenses have played a huge role in simply letting you see. And probably at considerable cost.
So in the long run, taking steps to cut back that cost and vastly improve your vision quality in the process, is a no-brainer. Expert and caring professionals look after you from the first assessment right through to surgery; it’s actually a very smooth process that takes very little time. And you can probably claim some of the cost on your health fund.
To really get you in the mood, we’ve put together a list of everyday things you can expect to change and will have you screaming ‘Oh my God!’ with glee, after your surgery.
Everyday life becomes clearer
- Roll over in the morning and actually see where the ceiling meets the wall. We kid you not, it’s quite the revelation. There’s likely a whole community of daddy long legs you never knew you shared your space with.
- Usually step out of bed and do that weird step-hop-skip because you suddenly can’t remember where on the floor you left your glasses? No need for that anymore with the floor now crystal clear!
- Hop out of the shower and, instead of the usual blurry figure, truly see yourself in the mirror – warts and all.
- When you’re lounging around on the couch, watch Netflix without your glasses frame digging into your face and leaving a nice big indent.
- Wear makeup? Get this, it is possible to see, and correct, patchy foundation or bad colour choices.
- Live in fear of knocking yourself out when you run out of lane? Your lunchtime lap swim will never be the same again.
- Afternoon snorkels on the weekend become a visual smorgasbord. You’ll see fish, sand and know just how far you’ve drifted.
- We dare you. Go into any shop, with the new ability to pick up any pair of sunnies. No more ‘is the frame too round for prescription?’ conversations.
- Meeting your bestie for coffee? You’ll see her coming from a mile away.
- Hot, humid days (or that surprise rain shower) will no longer wreak havoc and fog up your glasses.
- You know that difficult squint to read road signs, particularly at dusk and in the evening? It’s all so much easier and less stressful when you can see properly.
- Caught out after work without your contacts and you hear ‘knock, knock’? Shut the front door, now you’ll now be able to see who your surprise guest is.
- No more sliding glasses down your nose as you cook up a storm with pots and pans. Or worse, a contact drops into your soup (true story!).
- If you’re up to check on the kids countless times in the middle of the night, that’s a hard enough gig. But imagine a world where you can see the lego before you step on it! Or you can read the dosage on the paracetamol bottle. Life-changing.
- And last, but not least, let’s not forget falling asleep in your contacts and losing one behind your eyeball. It’s a nightmare you’ll never need to deal with again.
Plenty to be grateful for
Of all the possible reasons, you’ll get most joy from waking up and simply being able to see clearly. So go on, take the plunge! You’ll quickly realise there’s a whole load more where they came from. Call 1800 20 20 20: Our friendly staff will help you see what your future looks like (see what we did there?!)
Author Bio: Heather Woods is an Australian freelance writer living blissfully in New Zealand.